Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gertie's Shirtwaist Dress Sew Along!



Yay! Gertie's Shirtwaist Dress Sew Along has officially started...yesterday...oops. Sorry, guys. I was meaning to sit down and write this post yesterday, but I randomly took a nap and then it just didn't get done.

ANYWAYS!

 I wanted to do the introductory post and put up the schedule of posts that I wanted to do. Obviously, you can work faster and/or slower than me. I just wanted to do a series of detailed posts of what I do when I make this dress. The posts would be directed to the "advanced-beginners". Why? Because I think that everyone should make and wear this dress all the time. :P I also wanted these posts as a great place for beginner sewists to look at when they make this dress. Also, since this will be my third time sewing it, I have picked up a couple tricks.

So, here is the schedule:
February 6: Tracing
February 7: Muslin
February 9: Cutting out, interfacing, staystitching, collar
February 11: Bodice Darts and skirt 
February 12: Shirring
February 13: Pockets and side seams
February 14: Side Seams
February 15: Sleeves
February 16: Collar/Facing
February 17: Buttonholes/hem, handstitching/buttons
February 18: Final dress!!

So, if you guys follow along, awesome and I would love to see your finished projects! I set up a flickr account to make it easy to share, but also email me (kitschymommy@gmail.com) pictures! I would love to post like a round-up.

I'm super excited!

2 comments:

  1. I will probably be a bit behind you in making the dress but I am super excited as well. I want to make the original dress and then later make the 40s variation with the zipper. I do have some fabulous fabric for this project. And I am interested to see how you trace. Right now, I use some heavy plastic sheeting from Home Depot and a Sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I have never heard of using the plastic sheeting. I'm definitely going to try that! I already have the fabric for the 40's variation, but I would like to do the lace at the bottom and I haven't found the right lace yet. I wouldn't be surprised if I made the 40's variation next month :P

    ReplyDelete